Moto Morini in Bologna, Italy was founded by Alfonso Morini (1898—1969) in 1937, who previously worked with Mario Mazzetti at MM motorcycles. The first "Moto Morini" was the three-wheeler 'M 610' motocarro powered by a 350cc or 500cc engine.
After World War Two, Moto Morini entered the lightweight two-stroke market, with the introduction of the Morini T125 123cc Turismo, 123cc Sport, and 98cc Sbarazzino in 1946.
1963 Moto Morini Tresette Sprint 175
Throughout the next few years Morini garnered several wins at the Grand Prix of Nations at Monza, Spanish Grand Prix, and Italian Championship. Moto Morini relocated to a larger Via Bergami production facility in 1956.
Moto Morini Corsaro 4-Stroke & Corsarino Moped
In 1958, Morini introduced the 'Corsaro' 4-stroke, and the 37hp Double Camshaft Corsaro '250 GP' won the Grand Prix of Nations the same year. The Corsaro Veloce was introduced in 1962, and the last Corsaro was produced in 1968. Alfonso Morini passed away in 1969, and his daughter, Gabriella Morini, assumed control of Moto Morini.
1964 Moto Morini Corsarino
During the early 1960s, several new Moto Morini moped models under 50cc were introduced, including the popular model 'Z' Corsarino ("Little Pirate"), the ZT, ZZ, Modell V, Corsarino Scrambler, Super Scrambler, and Dollaro. Company founder Alfonso Morini died in 1969, at age 71.
Moto Morini V-Twins
In an effort to enter the medium-class motorcycle nich, Moto Morini decided to upgrade the aging 'Corsaro' engine to a narrow V-twin layout in the early 1970s. Morini's new '3 1/2' used a 344cc 72-degree V-twin engine that was penned by Bologna designer Franco Lambertini, and built by Franco and Gino Marchesini.
1976 Moto Morini 3 1/2 344cc V-Twin
Lambertini's engine design uses two interchangeable Heron cylinder heads and barrels, with a 2-inch off-center rear cylinder, and header pipes that exit the cylinders in opposite directions to aid in rear cylinder cooling. The first 3 1/2s did suffer from teething problems with the connecting rods, but soon earned a reputation as highly reliable powerplants. Engine capacity was increased to 479cc in 1977, along with the introduction of a touring/GT model called the Excalibur.
Moto Morini Today
In 1987, Moto Morini was purchased by the Varese firm Cagiva , owners of MV Agusta. Bearing a striking resemblance to the Brutale naked bike, Moto Morini's $14,600 'Corsaro Avio Black' was designed by Marabese Design in Milan, Italy.
2008 Moto Morini Corsaro Avio
The Corsaro's 87¼ twin-cylinder Bialberto CorsaCorta engine acts as a structural member, hung in the MV Agusta-style trellis tube-frame. Suspension utilizes Marzocchi Magnum 50mm front forks and a single Sachs shock-absorber. The Silver/Blue version features a blue frame and silver bodywork.
Moto Morini's 1187cc Bialberto DOHC engine produces a claimed 140 bhp (100 kW) @ 8500 rpm, with 123 nm of torque at 6500 rpm.
Moto Morini Links
Moto Morini Today
Moto Morini V-Twin Spares
Moto Morini Corsaro Owners
Moto Morini Story
Morini Riders Club
Moto Morini Spares, Info, & Stories
Back To: Vintage Motorcycle Photos